Where has the time gone???

May 21st, 2011 sablan12

So after realizing that I haven’t blogged in almost a month (terrible- I know!), I was not only only shocked, but couldn’t help but notice that time appears to have accelerated in the last few weeks! How is it May already?? Where has the time gone?? As I am now determined not to waste anymore of my precious, and now apparently fleeting time in Australia, I will give you a brief synopsis of all that has transpired in the last month….

As I mentioned in my last post, the company I have been interning with, Villawood Properties, had joined forces with contractors of the Henley group and the Good Friday Appeal to auction a house whose proceeds would benefit the Royal Melbourne Children’s Hospital. The event was a success raising $610,000 (AUD) for the Children’s Hospital and exceeding $10 million (AUD) in total donations over the last 18 years!

SOLD! For $610,000!

In the past month, I have also assisted with the organization of  Villawood’s family fun day at their Estuary community in Leopold, Geelong. The event included a complimentary bbq for the community, face painters, balloon artists, a bounce house, a clown playing a ukulele on stilts, and featured a dry boat regatta. The dry boat regatta was a 250 meter race in which participants must construct and run with their boat in teams of six. Leopold Primary School took the 1st place prize of $1000(AUD) and were also awarded an additional $250 (AUD) for having the “best presented boat”. In all, the day was a success, and I was glad to have been able to give back to the community of Leopold.

Leopold Primary School and their boat, "The Spirit of Leopold"

As for Uni, as I’ve said before, time is flying by! It is now the last week of University and I have four major assignments due in 2 weeks!! Yes, 9,000 words stands between me and my completion of my year studying abroad…the very thought makes my stomach churn. :/ BUT, I have gotten off to a pretty good start, and am feeling confident!

College is still awesome, and we have had several events in the past month worthy of mention. Rowing Day was on 5/14 and Newman College placed 3rd in the regatta! It was a glorious day for Newman rowing, who openly admit that rowing isn’t their stongest sport, as all of our teams did very well. I rowed for the Women’s Firsts team which came first in the B final (wooo!!!) beating both Trinity College and St. Hilda’s College. Also, recently we had our annual college boat cruise down the Yarra river. It was great fun, and everyone came dressed in the nines in this year’s theme of “jungle fever”. Lastly, the event of the semester, the Newman College Ball, was spanish themed, featuring flamenco dancers, churros with chocolate fountains, and hundreds of Newman’s finest dancing the night away!

Women's Firsts Boat

Jungle Fever Cruise!

All dolled-up at Newman Ball

Lastly, I have not been able to travel as much as I would like, but I was fortunate enough to get the chance to explore the Great Ocean Road during Easter Break. The Great Ocean Road is an iconic drive along the coast beginning in Torquay and finishing in Allansford, which takes approximately 4 hours to drive without stopping. I, on the other hand, began in Torquay and ended at the 12 Apostles in Port Campbell, cutting my GORA ( or Great Ocean Road Adventure) a little short. None-the-less, it was a fabulous journey along the coast with stunning views of the ocean and the majestic rocks that form the 12 Apostles.

Rules of the Road!

12 Apostles at Dusk